28 May 2007

There's Cockfighting on TV There!

Well, folks, here I am in New Market, MD, at the home of Jim and Dottie. I managed to find a nice girl to cat-sit for Oscar at home, so although I miss him at least I'm not worried about him. We've set up a stool and hand-held showerhead here, AND Jim had another walker left over from back surgery he had a few years ago, so I have a walker at the top of the stairs and another at the bottom, which greatly increases my mobility and independence. I've been eating like a (pregnant) queen -- Dottie is a great cook -- and aside from replays of fruitless discussions about childcare options for the new baby, I think I am going to be completely comfortable here. [These discussions -- a generous term for lectures which boil down to Dottie's strong dislike for day care centers and her preference that I stay home -- are fruitless not because I disagree with her, but because I have to make this decision with my husband, not with his mother, and his opinions are very different.]

I've been feeling pretty strong lately; I still walk in that stumbly, cripply way that one associates with MS (or MG, I guess), but I feel less weak in the leg muscles. One unfortunate new thing is a powerful headache I've had off and on for three days. I thought I was suffering caffeine withdrawal because I'd been allowing myself sweet tea, but now I'm not so sure. It actually woke me up in the middle of the night -- that's a pretty serious headache.

Dave has phoned a couple of times from Manila. (I don't know if I mentioned here that the CEO and COO added Manila to his trip -- since he'd ''be in the area.'') E*Trade set up a VOIP for his computer, so he can call me (or I, him) anywhere around the world and it doesn't cost any more than calling to or from his office in Arlington. It works very well -- clear reception, etc. The only down side is a slight time-delay, maybe 1 or 2 seconds, but that just makes us feel like Katie Couric and Matt Lauer. It is very good to talk to him -- makes me feel like I'm with him. Lord, am I always going to be this way about his long business trips? I hope not, because I feel a bit ridiculous. I'm chalking it up to a combination of pregnancy emotions and recuperation vulnerability. And with any luck, those two factors will never combine in my life again.

No comments: