23 September 2007

Chit-Chat

Sunday afternoon, the time when our neighbors' kids play soccer outside all afternoon, and the Scotts watch football. Today it's the Ravens versus Arizona -- and if I could get the game on TV, I might also be watching the Steelers play. D is at the game in Baltimore, having hosted a big tailgate from breakfast sandwiches through Arizona fajitas for lunch (matter of fact, I wish I could have one of those right now). Right now, I'm sure that he and his Dad are hollering at the top of their lungs, cheering on the offense, which looks much better than it has lately.

Meanwhile, I'm home, keeping Oscar the cat company. He had his claws taken out on Friday, and the poor kitty is still all drugged up, currently spread out on the master bedroom floor in a sunny patch. He seems to be okay, and the vet said everything went all right -- I guess I just feel extra sensitive lately to anyone who is recovering from surgery. It's good he's home, though; he was so ticked off at the vet, just hissing at everyone and looking like some kind of wild creature. Even if I say so myself, as soon as he was back with me, Oscar calmed down and started to relax into healing, licking his poor wounded paws and sticking his hindquarters in the air for a rub. The vet suggested we keep him sequestered somewhere for two days, just to make sure he didn't run around too much and re-open his wounds (they're sealed with surgical glue, just like I had on my neck).

The other day, D's grandma noticed my scar from the cervical surgery for the first time. She said, 'For some reason, I expected it to be in the back.' In fact, the scar fits rather nicely into a normal skin fold on the front of my neck. I told her that the surgeon said it is possible to go in from the back, but that for some reason I no longer recall they prefer the front. All I remember is the nuisance caused by the need to move my esophagus and windpipe out of the way to get to my spine from the front; for weeks I had weird swallowing issues and my mouth and throat made all this extra, gooey mucus to try to smooth over the trauma. Glad that's over! I have another recent scar, too -- on my right big toe, where I had bunion surgery in February -- the bones shaved, realigned, and screwed together with what looked on the X-ray like comically large screws. The toe hurts a little, now and then, usually only because the arches of my feet have completely collapsed with the loosening of pregnancy. Funny to think now about how much I complained during the recovery from the toe surgery.

And soon -- 8 weeks from last Friday, on November 16 -- I'm going to undergo another serious surgery, and incur another scar, when I have a C-section to get Abigail out. I am really not looking forward to the procedure, but I am so excited to meet the baby girl!! I am hoping that the discomfort and pain of recovery will be overshadowed by the challenges and thrill of getting to know our new baby. At the very least, maybe my recent surgery experience will have taught me that this, too, shall pass.

In the meantime I am going to try not to worry about the C-section, and instead focus on getting as strong and healthy as I can before Abby comes. Monday through Wednesday of this last week, I had a very strong few days -- long, involved workouts, walking more easily without the walker, just generally feeling energetic and empowered. It was a great feeling, but I overdid it a bit. By Wednesday night, my rib cage, low back and "upper belly" were just as sore and stiff as could be; that feeling of having an iron corset came back. On Friday, my physical therapist told me to listen to my body, and take a few days off to relax and not exert myself too much. Usually you don't have to tell me twice to relax -- it's one of my best subjects. I was a little disappointed this time, though, to give up that brief feeling of strength and power. Soon enough . . . I am completely convinced that once Abby Jane joins us, my neurological problems are going to evaporate, and I will be able to focus on bringing my strength back.

Tonight D and I are supposed to go to the Genesis concert atthe MCI Center in DC. It's very odd -- if you want handicapped seating (which I'll need in order to be able to get to the seat), you have to just buy whatever ticket you can, and then on the night of the concert you go to a particular office at the arena and see what seats they have available. You could easily buy tickets like ours, row L in some high section, and then end up in the front row of some handicapped section somewhere -- or you could find out after you arrive that there is nowhere to sit, and have to go home. I have learned a lot about what it's like to be disabled in our society -- I'd say the number one lesson is that I couldn't possibly do this without D's help.

The soccer game outside has just ended, and the 2d quarter of my game is already here. Todd Heap just made his first catch -- he's my favorite. It's time for me to find some lunch. Sorry to be rambling a bit today. I have a lot on my mind, but none of it is very organized right now. I just wanted to say hi, and catch up a bit. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

No comments: