12 June 2008

Wet

The baby girl threw up on me. Hugely. This happened during the first time I held her all day, just before she was ready to go to bed. The sitter handed her over, and I was trying to comfort her because she was crying. I thought maybe her tummy hurt, so I put her up on my shoulder. I was right, her tummy hurt. She regurgitated like Exorcist Baby, whimpered while we wiped her off and changed her clothes (me looking like a refugee from an especially demented wet t-shirt contest), and then giggled and fell fast asleep.

We took all the wet covers from the couch cushions, put the wet clothes and blankets and burp cloths in the washer, and the sitter went home. I washed bottles, pacifiers, chew toys, spoons, bowls, and bibs, and then went, finally, to sit on the uncovered couch cushions to rest my weary bones. And spilled my glass of white wine all over me.

No comments: