11 February 2010

Writing that Book

So when do you think I might stop contenting myself with being sure I can do it and instead actually do it?

I am working on it. More now than ever before.

But I keep waiting for it to fall on me, when I'm ready. Like meeting Mr. Right and getting married. I felt all those years that I wasn't ready. I knew I would be a great wife and mom when I got around to it, but I couldn't quite get myself to do anything proactive to make it come about. In fact, at some point I decided I was probably getting too old and got ready to settle down with my cat -- and that's when Dave fell into my lap.

Is this the year when the book falls into my lap? I feel like I'm probably getting too old, and I can't quite get myself to do anything more proactive than writing when I feel like writing. Which is often, but not often enough. And the book I'm working on, though I'm convinced it will be a good book, that someone will want to read, is not The book. The book I'm working on is fiction. The book is memoir. Can you imagine how scary it would be to write my memoir?

So, what do you think? Should I keep writing the novel? Stop altogether and wait for it to fall in my lap? Stop writing the novel and try to write the memoir? Write both? Or chuck all of it and just blog for my 5 loyal readers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie, I love reading whatever you write! However, being a huge fan of non-fiction, I can't wait to get my hands on your memoir. Even though I read your blog religiously, and know you (well), I am still anticipating reading everything I haven't yet learned! Love you, Deb.

Brett Douville said...

In my oh-so-humble opinion, it matters little so long as you write. If you write every day, you will have the skills you need to write *the* book whenever it should be ready to be written -- but you and the book each have to be ready, I think, and even if you're ready it will be a lot of hard work. Having the rhythm of writing a significant amount each day is really the only way to prepare.