21 December 2007

Richard Curtis

I love Richard Curtis. I don't care that it's the same jokes, the same dialogue, the same actors all the time. Blackadder, Four Weddings, The Vicar of Dibley, Bridget Jones, even The Edge of Reason and Love Actually. I love him. Supposedly his next project is the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, which seems like a bit of a stretch, but then I haven't read the novel -- is it full of impossibly eloquent, though idiomatic British characters? One of my favorite Richard Curtis bits of all time: Hugh Laurie as an idiot George III in Blackadder, trying to pronounce the word "antidisestablishmentarianism," and going through many versions before setttling on "antidistinctlyminty." And possibly my favorite of his jokes: "A woman's doorbell rings. She's just got out of the shower, and is half-naked, so she shouts, 'Who's there?' The person says, 'A blind man' -- so she decides to let him in. 'Nice tits,' he says; 'now where d'you want the blinds hung?" Well done, you.

No comments: