09 February 2008

A Fine Mess


I made a big mistake. I was feeling so good yesterday that, when I did my physical therapy exercises, I overdid it a bit. I even did a Sun Salutation to top it off (a bad one, but still). I was surprised at how sore my back felt afterward, so I moved around a bit gingerly. Then I bent down and lifted Abby out of her bouncy seat on the floor. Flash! A sharp pain in my low back. A really sharp pain. I made it to the sofa and plopped down in it, with Abby next to me on the cushion. I had to call Dave and tell him to come home early because I didn't think I'd be able to get up again. Then we went through 18 hours or so of excruciating pain, Dave physically helping me to walk, to dress, to sit on the toilet. Pillow talk about, "is this 'here we go again'?" Frustration, anger, fear. I thought in the middle of the night that I might be headed back to Hopkins again today. Today, thank God, it has slowly been getting better. The sharp pain has mostly subsided, and I can put some weight on my right leg again without gasping in pain. Now I just ache, and occasionally the wrong kind of movement causes a shocking twinge. I've emailed Dr. Maragakis to see if he thinks I should try to move my MRI up. Somehow it doesn't feel like an accident that two days after he suggested that there might be a lumbar disk problem, my lumbar back has failed me and I'm back to the walker and fears in the dark. I think I'd like to have that MRI as soon as I can.

No comments: