31 July 2007

Daily Life

Oh, wow, I was so not ready for that. My day with the kids, I mean. I'm just way too tired, and fatigue much too quickly, to hang with them all day. They also never leave me alone. I mean, even when Dave's around, they hang on me, want me to play their games with them, want to show me what they've come up with . . . Lord, I sound awful -- it's not that I don't love them, or appreciate that they love me back; far from it. It's just that I'm exhausted and in some measure of pain constantly, and I can't get them to go play by themselves for an hour to give me a rest. Part of that is an authority thing; they don't listen to me nearly as well as they respond to their dad.

Don't get me wrong -- the day was not that bad. We made the Martha Stewart puppets (which, although billed as 'self-adhesive' and requiring no additional glue or tape, actually did not stay together at all and used up much of my art-supply stash to keep them together), which were a hit, and they were adequately fed and no one bled. I just hate not being able to give them the energy I want to give them, and I hate letting some disciplinary situations slide because (a) I'm too tired to get really peeved and (b) I know that if it comes down to needing to physically remove them to the time-out spot, I can't do it. I'm just not ready yet. Unfortunately, I need to do it again Monday.

I have been recovering all day today. I slept 10 hours and have still been sleepy all day. I've been having insomnia and bad pregnancy heartburn on top of the usual nighttime pain, so I haven't been sleeping well lately. I probably needed this day of sleep badly.

Our new next-door neighbors are moving in tomorrow. Francisco and Myra, with their three children: Pablo, Luis and Sofia. These are some of the politest kids I ever met -- hooray! Maybe they'll be a good influence. On me, I mean. :)

Tomorrow morning we're back to the neurologist, Dr. Maragakis (remember him?). We'll be dragging the kids to Hopkins. Then D is going to take them to Ravens training camp while I come back and relax. Tomorrow night the cat goes to the vet, for preparatory consultation before getting declawed. We managed to complete our baby registry, and I am starting to be enthused about the nursery. Most exciting of all, we have officially named Baby. She is Abigail Jane, and I can't wait to see her in person!

1 comment:

The Comers said...

LOVE the name. LOVE it. we also considered abigail and jane, separately. as for your day with the kids, don't focus on what you felt to be your shortcomings. focus on the fact that YOU MADE IT--and no one bled. that's not a small feat. there are days when my two girls are nearly the end of me, and i'm not facing the other challenges that you are. so pat yourself on the back, and don't let Dr. M torture you tomorrow--as EG would say, "that is not very nice at all." :)