14 January 2008

Ladies Who Brunch

Today is one of those days when I ate brunch instead of breakfast, because Abby didn't cooperate with her usual nap following her morning feeding. In fact, she's only just now regained her composure. She flipped out during a frenetic change of diaper and clothing after she pooed all over the place, including every piece of her clothing and up her back. Right now, she is snoozing on a pillow next to me on the family room couch, and she is smiling widely in her sleep. I love that, and hate it when she looks as though she's having a bad dream. She is my darling girl.

Daddy is in NYC today, and was last night, which means that I've missed the breaks that he so frequently gives me, so I am more tired than usual. The house is also a disaster from the company we had this weekend (friends on Saturday night as well as our kids, S and R). Six kids can really destroy a playroom, let me tell you. One of these hours I might actually try to get up and go straighten some things, as well as begin to wash the mountain of clothes in our laundry basket. Or I might just drink a cup of decaf tea and take a nap.

Hallelujah!! D and I are going to Las Vegas in March. Partly because he's got training there, partly for my birthday. I can't wait. I like Vegas a lot anyway, but now I feel an actual desperation to have FUN. This trip is coming at a very good time. I don't really want to leave Abby for three nights, but she'll be with Grandbob, who not only dotes on her and raised my husband, but is also a doctor, so how much better could a sitter get? I will miss her a lot, but I really need and want to get away and enjoy a break with D.

I'm looking around for a church to join and in which to have Abby Jane baptized. I don't have the energy to pontificate about the Episcopal church and the parishes I've visited right now, but you can be assured that I will soon.

Physical therapy has begun again. I am doing the most infinitesimally small core exercises, and the next day I feel like I've done hundreds of crunches. The first step is to rebuild my core (abs and back muscles, for those of you who aren't up on Pilates-speak), to relieve my back pain and to give me a solid base. After that we'll turn to more strengthening in arms and legs. I feel like none of the muscles in my entire body is working properly. I am beyond back to square one -- as weak as anything -- but I do somehow feel like the main issue is muscle atrophy, no longer the neurological aspect of things. We'll see -- I go back to the neurosurgeon and neurologist the second week of February. One piece of evidence in support of that viewpoint is the situation with my eyes. I saw the neuro-opthalmologist again last week, and after doing all their measurements, they pronounced me normal and discharged me from their care. Amazing, huh?

OK. I have a lot more to say, but I'm starving, so I'm going to go find something healthy to eat before Bunny wakes up and wants to have another bottle.

p.s. I don't do new year's resolutions, and this year I didn't even do the usual assessment I do -- to write about what good things happened in the year past, the ways I've grown, etc. Maybe I'm just too busy with Abby. Or maybe it's because, subconsciously, I don't feel like anything good happened in the year past. An unfortunate way to think about the year in which your only biological daughter, one of the loves of your life, was born.

No comments: